Cosmetologists and dermatologists unanimously affirm that nettle for the face is a real cure that will get rid of any skin problem. Nettle-based remedies can be called “smart”: they automatically determine where to send all their healing powers.
Otherwise, how do you explain the fact that this plant deprives the greasy skin of sebaceous shine, moisturizes the dry skin, whitens pigmented skin, and gives to pale skin a subtle shade of suntan? This is an amazing gift of nature, which surely should be used for the benefit to the beauty.
Benefits of Nettle
Nettle contains caustic fluid from acetylcholine, histamine and formic acid. It not only provides the plant with the ability to sting, but also defines its main useful properties.
When heated, the acid decomposes into water (it does not evaporate from the cells, moisturizing the dry skin) and carbon dioxide. The latter has cleansing properties; it frees pores from debris, eliminates black spots, and removes the greasy gloss.
But this is not the only benefit of nettles for the face skin.
The remaining vitamins and microelements in its composition also improve the condition of the epidermis, guaranteeing the following results:
- rapid healing of microdamages due to natural repairer – vitamin A;
- additional production of collagen fibers, which makes the skin more smooth, resilient, elastic, and also improve blood circulation, and all this is due to high content of vitamin C;
- reduction of pigmented spots, smoothing of complexion – this is the merit of vitamin K;
- carotene provides active moistening and control of work of sebaceous glands;
- reduction of inflammatory foci and irritations, soothing and anti-inflammatory action, smoothing of the skin relief – this effect is possessed by tannins;
- flavonoids provide protective functions and strengthen local immunity;
- due to organic acids, there is deceleration of aging processes, and fine and deep wrinkles are smoothed out.
It really turns out that nettle is a universal remedy for a variety of cosmetic problems. But despite this, extract of nettle in composition masks or lotions can be directed to a specific purpose. For example, if you add a lemon juice or kaolin to a mixture, the bleaching effect will be provided. And if you add oak bark or orange-pekoe, you get the opposite effect – the face will become slightly swarthy, pallor will go away. So everything is in your hands.
Nettles have many different common names in the people: bull nettle, silver-leaf nettle, white horse-nettle, treadsoftly, mala mujer, witch’s grass and bachelor’s kiss.
Of course, that such an amazing plant was surely noticed in cosmetology. To date, almost every concern has separate phytolines of products, which contain extracts of nettle – dioecious, stinging, white and other sorts.
The assortment is wide, so there should not be problems with the choice of remedy. Judge for yourself by a small rating.
- Universal cleansing mask with white nettle, kaolin and burdock. Barex Italiana (Italy). $ 41.
- Nettle hydrolyte. Zeitun (Jordan). $ 14.8.
- Cleansing lotion – cleansing milk for the face. Klapp (Germany). $ 26.1.
Do you want to find a nettle in your favorite facial remedy? In such a case, the package should contain: “urticae” (in Latin) or “nettle” (in English).
The higher this inscription is among other ingredients, the more quantitative maintenance of a nettle is in product.
Pay attention. Now large popularity is acquired by hydrolatum – aromatized liquids that get as a result of distillation of plants at a production from them essential oils. Nettle is no exception. It’s useful as a lotion, and it will also be the basis for the preparation of many home cosmetic tools.
If you use a famous brand nettle cosmetics, there are no problems and complexities. Read the instructions – and use it for your health. The other matter is, if you risk it and prepare something like that at home. There are many advantages: much cheaper + natural + composition can be varied at your discretion. In summer, you can try to make nettle cosmetics and feel the difference between masks from Barex Italiana, for example, and your own preparation with the same composition – kaolin and burdock.
- Nettle cosmetics for the face can be prepared from the collection, which is on sale in drugstore. But the maximum benefit can be obtained only from raw materials collected with own hand. Harvesting is carried out in May-June, while the grass is young, light green, with soft leaves and stems.
- It is better for cosmetic purposes to use a dioecious variety of nettle (high, dark green, with rare stinging fibers). Often by mistake, they gather stinging nettle. It is smaller, bright green, incredibly painful when touched and can cause the strongest allergic reaction on the face. Do not forget to do everything in gloves, not to sting yourself.
- Harvesting is made in dry weather. You can not harvest a plant if it is wet, damaged by diseases or insects.
- At a high stem of the plant, only the tops are cut off. With a small stem – at a root. If you plan to use raw materials, it should be rinsed with cold water and immediately used for the intended purpose.
- If dry grass is required for the preparation of cosmetics, the collected raw materials should be in a room with good ventilation and without access to the sun for 1-2 weeks. Several times a day all this needs to be turned over.
- Once the raw materials begin to crumble in hands from attrition, the leaves are separated from the stems, folded into paper bags (as an option – cardboard boxes).
- Expiration date – no more than 2 years.
- Dried nettles are less useful than fresh grass, because of the much lower content of active substances in it. Therefore, it is better to practice such skin therapy in late spring or early summer.
- There are contraindications: individual intolerance, a tendency to allergies, sensitive and thin skin, couperose. Formic acid can cause not only a rash and hyperemia, but also a real burn.
- Before applying any cosmetic for the face, first try it on the wrist. If there are no unpleasant sensations, use for the intended purpose.
- For the treatment of acne, decoction and infusion of nettles are consumed inside: 100 ml three times a day after meals for 10-14 days.
- The duration of the course is 1 month, the interval between it is 2-3 weeks.
If the mask causes a sense of burning, and the hyperemia on the skin after it does not pass long enough, you need to reduce the nettle concentration, or apply a thin layer or generally apply locally for a small amount of time.
If the problem does not pass, and in this case, the tool will have to be abandoned.
How to use
The nettle can be used in many ways. First you need to learn how to prepare fluids from it, on the basis of which you will then create home cosmetic masterpieces.
The most useful in cosmetology is nettle decoction, which can be prepared from both fresh and dried plants. The first will contain more useful substances. On its basis, you can prepare any rejuvenating and anti-inflammatory remedy: mask, cream, tonic, etc.
Pour 100 grams of herbs 500 ml of boiling water. Put on a stove, simmer for half an hour. Cool, filter.
Infusion is more useful than decoction, because it, without being subjected to heat treatment, preserves the maximum of useful properties of its composition.
Pour 100 grams of herbs 500 ml of boiling water, cover tightly with a lid, insist an hour, strain.
From infusion you will get excellent cosmetic ice, which perfectly removes the black points and narrows the enlarged pores.
If you know how to prepare home creams, then as base oil you can use the nettle oil, which will help to get rid of any rash and large pimples. You can buy it in a pharmacy, and you can take a chance and make it yourself.
Pour 50 grams of dry raw material with a glass of olive oil (preheated). Keep it under the lid at room temperature in a dry place without penetrating the sun’s rays. Filter it after 2 weeks. Store in a dark bottle no more than a month.
The most concentrated remedy of all listed is nettle juice. Despite the fact that it is most often recommended for acne, you need to be extremely careful with it and keep accurate dosages.
To grind fresh grass (you can use a meat grinder or blender), squeeze out the resulting gruel. This concentrate should never be applied to the face in its pure form: either dilute with water (proportions equal), or to include it in composition of any other cosmetic product.
Finely chop the fresh grass (one glass), put it in a jar, and pour a liter of vodka. Pull gauze on the neck of a jar. Keep it in this form for a day at room temperature. Then put it in the refrigerator for 2 weeks. Filter and use to wipe from acne, black spots and to eliminate sebaceous shine.
Despite the fact that nettle masks are most popular, you can also prepare lotions, tonics, and applications from it. There are a lot of recipes.
- Acne Lotion
Mix the chopped dry nettle and chamomile for 50 grams, pour 500 ml of boiling water, warm up on a water bath for 10 minutes. Then cool, filter. Wipe face twice a day after the procedure of washing.
- Mask and tonic for dry skin
Mix 100 gr of dry nettle with a cup of fresh juice from sea buckthorn berries, add 500 ml of boiling water. Keep for an hour, filter. Use oil cake to make masks, apply liquid as a tonic. Both of which guarantee 100% moisturizing.
- Mask for a greasy skin
Dilute 20 grams of pea flour with the same amount of nettle infusion to get creamy consistency. Before applying to the skin, add 2 drops of grapefruit essential oil. The mask is recommended to eliminate greasy luster and narrowing of dilated pores
- The rejuvenating ice
Mix 20 grams of nettle and plantain, brew in 100 ml of boiling water. Keep for half an hour. Filter. Add a teaspoon of wheat and mango oil. Fill it into ice molds for the night.
Wipe skin twice a day. Perfect for those who are over 30 years old: smoothes wrinkles, has the tightening effect.
- Treating Acne Mask
15 grams of yeast dilute a small amount of warm water. Keep for half an hour. Add 5 drops of nettle oil and ether of cypress.
It is better to rinse off the mask with a linden decoction, which will enhance its anti-inflammatory effect.
- Softening Mask
Grind 15 grams of young, fresh herbs and mix it with 20 grams of sour cream, add a teaspoon of cucumber pulp without skin and seeds. After such mask, the skin becomes soft and silky.
- Depigmentation mask
Dilute 20 grams of white clay with infusion (or decoction) until the desired consistency. Apply on those spots that need to be removed, every day for 15-20 minutes. Rinse the mini compresses with lemon juice diluted with water in equal proportions.
If you have not yet discovered nettles in cosmetology, it’s time to do it. Many people are accustomed to use it only to strengthen hair. So expand the range of its application.
Find the line of remedy with nettle extract at the famous business concerns. Buy a collection in the pharmacy or tear off a few stems under the window and prepare the infusion or decoction yourself. Your skin will be very grateful for such phyto-care.